Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 18:32:28 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

Rather a critical element has been snipped there, Paul, sadly.

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 15:42:07 +0000, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net>
wrote:
> Given the latter half of our
>freeze tends to involve mostly frustration, fragmentation of developers
>and very few bug fixes, I am personally one of the people, who would
>like to see Debian have shorter freezes[1].

> On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 1:41 AM, Marc Haber wrote:
>
> > Yes, I have heard your (it was you, wasn't it) talk in Heidelberg. I
> > took with me that you plan to adopt a "once you're out of testing,
> > you're out of stable for the next release, unless you're really
> > really important" policy for stretch, which has put me in deep
> > worry.
>
> Packages often get autoremoved from testing and then go back in
> quickly once they are fixed, so I'm not sure that is correct.

So this phrase:

[during the latter half of our freeze]
> > "once you're out of testing,
> > you're out of stable for the next release, unless you're really
> > really important"

*is* correct *if* the original prefix is retained - and it shouldn't
overly worry any developers. It's a necessary step to actually getting a
release.

However, this is so far off-topic now that it is pointless to continue.

--

Neil Williams