Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:

> Keep support for things that used to work for, say, at least three or
> four stable releases, document that and commit to it. And, of course,
> stick to it.

So at approx 2 years per stable release, that would be around 6 to 8
years before we could get this optional change into Debian. Which in
turn mean we are 6 to 8 years behind the other major Linux
distributors. That would definitely put me off Debian.

Or maybe you can see into the future, and can see a time when the new
/usr will be mandatory for all users. Maybe this is your concern. You
want a commitment for it to remain optional for at least 6 to 8 years.

Do we want debian to be slow and conservative or fast and bleeding edge?

I would find 6 to 8 years far too long myself, by the time we get
changes in a stable release, it is likely they will already be obsolete
and replaced by something better. It would probably result in Debian
being forked by people who want to develop using the latest standards
but unable to do so in Debian.

Maybe what you are looking for is LTS support or extended LTS support on
our releases?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>