Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:

> We could delay the transition-on-upgrade by one release, but the
> migration from sysvinit to systemd on a Jessie -> Jessie+1 upgrade will
> probably end up less tested (though systemd itself would probably be
> more tested by then).

Nobody says jessie+1 will not permit running sysvinit any more,
and the CTTE rulings explicitly did not touch that topic which
implies some amount of scepsis.

Plus, sysvinit must probably be kept for non-linux arches anyway
(the Hurd people are happy enough to have even that much), so we
can keep it working for the linux arches too.

> Having only some systems switch to a different init system on upgrade
> seems potentially confusing to me.

Agreed, which just persuaded me to believe that even people
running GNOME should not be switched on upgrade, but rather
required to switch first (or after the upgrade), so that no
existing Debian system is auto-switched to systemd.

> That said, it would be nice if
> systemd-sysv could check for common problems on installation and issue a

Agree.

bye,
//mirabilos
--