Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

On 08/09/2014 18:07, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Vincent Danjean:
>> If I recall correctly, when Debian switched the default MTA, upgrades
>> did not change the already installed.
>
> You cannot have an MTA without configuring it, and nobody even tried to
> implement auto-migration of the old default mailer's configuration to the
> new one. Also, we didn't switch to a different default mailer because the
> new one offered a heap of features and infrastructure which the other
> lacked.
>
> None of this applies to systemd.

I'm under the impression that systemd supporters think too much that
the configuration will be transparently migrated from sysinit to
systemd.
  Yes, systemd support sysv init scripts
  Yes (probably, not tested), systemd respect admin choice to
desactivate service if done with the update-rc.d command.

  But, as soon as systemd has unit files that replaces init scripts,
these ones are not used anymore. And any customization (such as "exit 0")
done in them is then lost. I'm wrong ?
  It occurs to me several times when upgrading various servers.
Sometimes, the fix is relatively easy (create a new service file
that does what is missing, properly disabling a service instead
of putting "exit 0" in the init script, ...)
And sometimes I do not succeed at all (see #760848 that I already
mentioned).
  I try to switch to systemd as soon as I upgrade to testing,
as I found systemd better that sysv. It is also a way for me
to learn systemd. When standard init files have not been modified,
the upgrade is indeed paintless. But when there is a problem,
I find very difficult to fix it for now. And nearly any customization
of init scripts is lost without a word during the upgrade. Enabling
the debug-shell service and redirecting the boot log to a virtual
console save me several times.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA