Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

Quoting Vincent Danjean (2014-09-08 21:37:14)
> On 08/09/2014 18:07, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
>> Vincent Danjean:
>>> If I recall correctly, when Debian switched the default MTA,
>>> upgrades did not change the already installed.
>>
>> You cannot have an MTA without configuring it, and nobody even tried
>> to implement auto-migration of the old default mailer's configuration
>> to the new one. Also, we didn't switch to a different default mailer
>> because the new one offered a heap of features and infrastructure
>> which the other lacked.
>>
>> None of this applies to systemd.
>
> I'm under the impression that systemd supporters think too much that
> the configuration will be transparently migrated from sysinit to
> systemd.
>   Yes, systemd support sysv init scripts
>   Yes (probably, not tested), systemd respect admin choice to
> desactivate service if done with the update-rc.d command.
>
>   But, as soon as systemd has unit files that replaces init scripts,
> these ones are not used anymore. And any customization (such as "exit
> 0") done in them is then lost. I'm wrong ?
>   It occurs to me several times when upgrading various servers.
> Sometimes, the fix is relatively easy (create a new service file that
> does what is missing, properly disabling a service instead of putting
> "exit 0" in the init script, ...) And sometimes I do not succeed at
> all (see #760848 that I already mentioned).
>   I try to switch to systemd as soon as I upgrade to testing, as I
> found systemd better that sysv. It is also a way for me to learn
> systemd. When standard init files have not been modified, the upgrade
> is indeed paintless. But when there is a problem, I find very
> difficult to fix it for now. And nearly any customization of init
> scripts is lost without a word during the upgrade. Enabling the
> debug-shell service and redirecting the boot log to a virtual console
> save me several times.

Good point.

I have had a similar experience on a home server running MPD, where I
had tweaked the init file to run MPD under a different user.

When that system auto-switched to systemd my audio setup was broken.  No
warnings about changes to conffiles during the upgrade - because the old
files was simply skipped and instead system files was used instead.

I did not file a bugreport about that - where could I?

 - Jonas