Re: systemd-fsck?

Russ Allbery dixit:

>> • no /etc/init.d/$foo (to tabcomplete, no less!) any more
>
>I've been telling people to stop using this for years.  You should stop
>using this too, regardless of what init system you're using, since it
>doesn't sanitize environment variables.  You leak all kinds of crap from

Right, see my other posting (the “cleanenv” script).

>service foo <action> works across Linux distributions, with or without
>systemd, and does the right thing.

It doesn’t work on lenny, and (unless service /etc/init.d/foo is
allowed) does not tabcomplete well (in all scenarios).

>> • journal
>
>With the default systemd configuration on Debian, you won't ever know this
>exists unless you use one of the features that takes advantage of it.
>There's literally nothing to adjust to, so yes, of course they'll cope.

OK. But who says this is to stay? The systemd developers are
hostile towards legacy stuff in a really intricate way. Take
not jornal here but something else as example: they support
running both ntpd and their own thing, to sweeten the deal
now, but plan on dropping ntpd support later:
http://www.ohloh.net/p/systemd/commits/335063290

>> • the init system breaking init scripts hand-written by people
>>   who don’t really know what they’re doing, have not even heard
>>   of LSB, much less “units”
>
>This was indeed a more difficult transition... which we already did years
>ago when we switched to dependency-based boot.  Which did cause people a
>fair bit of trouble.  But it's now been handled, and systemd is unlikely
>to make any remaining issues any worse.

It’s not fully handled everywhere yet.

Thijs Kinkhorst dixit:

>One thing that strikes me in your mail is the underlying sentiment that
>enterprise admins would be averse of change. Environments and technologies

Fun thing: ours are. I wish we had IPv6… I used to run a BSD VM that
was a tunnel endpoint and just announced it into our LAN, but now that
we have separate admin areas, firewalls deny by default, etc. this is
no longer allowed. Some do investigate ceph, but even changing from
tomcat5.5 to tomcat6 is hard, tomcat7 does not work everywhere, and
developers don’t cooperate here either (I’m still trying to get all
java5 and java6 installs removed), though they all want maven 3.x…

Just don’t assume all installations are equal, nor that all people
who run them share the equal mindset. (We’re rid of etch for a few
months, and dapper and sarge for a few months more, thank the gods…)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“When udev happened I wrote mdev.”