Re: systemd-fsck?

Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> writes:

> Yes, there were issues with e.g. grub1 to grub2, but do you honestly
> think that sysadmins in a medium-sized company will cope with these?

> • no /etc/init.d/$foo (to tabcomplete, no less!) any more

I've been telling people to stop using this for years.  You should stop
using this too, regardless of what init system you're using, since it
doesn't sanitize environment variables.  You leak all kinds of crap from
your personal shell environment into the daemon environment that can cause
mysterious and difficult-to-debug problems.

service foo <action> works across Linux distributions, with or without
systemd, and does the right thing.

> • journal

With the default systemd configuration on Debian, you won't ever know this
exists unless you use one of the features that takes advantage of it.
There's literally nothing to adjust to, so yes, of course they'll cope.

> • totally different ways to handle services

In that way in which what you're doing now continues to work and you can
use the new stuff when you feel like it.

> • totally different ways to rescue a system that does not boot
>   cleanly any more

In that way in which booting from the rescue entry in Grub continues to
work just the way that it does right now.

> • the init system breaking init scripts hand-written by people
>   who don’t really know what they’re doing, have not even heard
>   of LSB, much less “units”

This was indeed a more difficult transition... which we already did years
ago when we switched to dependency-based boot.  Which did cause people a
fair bit of trouble.  But it's now been handled, and systemd is unlikely
to make any remaining issues any worse.

> I’m *positive* they won’t.

Good thing most of the problems you're worried about are figments of your
imagination, then, huh?