Re: jquery debate with upstream

On 2014-03-24 17:23, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
I don’t have the source of it at hand (and IANAftpmaster), but
right now, the answer is NO because the promise of the DFSG and
surrounding documents also extends to not just the source pak-
kages but also the distfiles (*.orig.tar.*) isolated. Basically,
it extends to every single file in the distribution.

I wouldn't be surprised if that would make a bunch of packages RC-buggy.

(Well, I have one. I was tempted to upload another tarball with some source files which might happen to be usable to regenerate some files if you have the right non-free tools. But then figured that everyone interested in that will just look up the sources on the upstream website instead. In the end the developers want to get their job done and release something free. Also those files are not code, but resources. Some might classify a minified jquery similar, though.)

To be honest I'd rather like to see a "ruling" which is codified in a policy than random guesswork we do on -devel from observing FTP masters' actions. This is not Mao.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern