Re: pulseaudio related problems....

On 02/17/2014 08:44 AM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
>
>> So, if your computer has several sounds cards - which is the case when
>> you have both a sound card and HDMI audio - how is PulseAudio supposed
>> to know which sound card to use? This is in no way different to plain
>> ALSA.
>
> Use all of them.  Most of them most likely aren't connected to anything,
> so sending a signal there is harmless.

I don't know whether this is a good idea. What if I want to listen to
something over my headphones which I don't others want to hear and
I know about this "feature". I expect the sound to be over headphones
only, yet it's blasting over the internal speakers as well and
everyone in the room can hear me as well.

>> FWIW, sound works in 99% of the cases right after a fresh install.
>
> Please provide the data you base this claim on, from a statistically
> significant sample of Debian installations.

No problem. Will do it later today when I have some time. I'll collect
the default desktop, the amount of users and the number of machines
and the amount of support requests regarding audio if that's ok.

>> Problems like the one described by Christian usually occur on systems
>> which have been undergone several configuration changes and upgrades,
>> i.e. old systems.
>
> If the configuration you get from install + upgrade is different than
> just installing a newer version, that's a bug.

Well. You can't blame PulseAudio if you have an .asoundrc in your home
directory which configures your sound card incorrectly.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz