Re: FFmpeg vs. libav packaging

+++ Stephan Seitz [2014-02-14 13:32 +0100]:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 01:03:02PM +0100, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
> >But we still try to minimise such cases as much as possible. And for
> >libav/ffmpeg this simply isn't managable at all due to the huge stream
> >of security issues trickling in. We need definitely need to pick one
> >solution only.
>
> And how is this problem solved? The library which most software can
> use or the library which has a maintainer?
>
> I’m using the Multimedia repository anyway because I want MythTV
> which is only available there. So I have ffmpeg.

mythtv is packaged using libav, and has been for some time in Ubuntu:
Debian packages now exist:
See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=570611

You can test packages for unstable built a couple of weeks ago at:
http://www.wookware.org/software/repo/pool/main/m/mythtv/
which take the good bits from the ubuntu and deb-multimedia

Unless anyone can see anything horribly wrong these should probably just
be uploaded.

I did get a video hang after an hour or so on my laptop so there may be
issues. I know absolutely nothing about video codec libraries so it
would be good if someone who did looked at this stuff.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/