Re: FFmpeg vs. libav packaging (was Re: Proposal: SystemD.pushers/forcers, et cetera)

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 09:21:02PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Adrian Bunk (2014-02-13 20:37:47)
> > Are you as Debian Multimedia Maintainer willing to discuss which
> > option (libav, FFmpeg, some solution of shipping both) will be best
> > for jessie based on the information that is available today?
>
> It will certainly be best for Jessie to have a library included which
> exist and has had reasonable testing as official Debian package.
>
> Someone needs to do the work of packaging FFmpeg and get it into Debian
> testing - then we can sensibly compare them in the context of an
> upcoming stable Debian release.

Having both sets of libraries in the archive at the same time is what
I called "insane" in the RFP and where I expect additional probems
due to:
- programs compiled with libav using FFmpeg and
- programs ending up using a mix of both libraries, in some cases
  even both versions of the same library

And for a fair comparison in testing, one would e.g. need one package
of VLC compiled against libav and one package of VLC compiled against
FFmpeg at the same time in testing.

Do you have a good idea how to avoid all the problems of mixing both
libraries while also creating a sufficient usage of the FFmpeg libraries
in a way that both libraries can be in testing at the same time, or are
you just setting a hurdle intended to be impossible to pass for FFmpeg?

> I am part of the Debian Multimedia team, if that matters to you.
>
>  - Jonas

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.