FFmpeg vs. libav packaging (was Re: Proposal: SystemD.pushers/forcers, et cetera)

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:48:52AM +0100, Fabian Greffrath wrote:

> > After ***forcing*** users to use libav instead of ffmpeg in debian
> > therefore making it to stuck with outdated fork istead of rapidly
> > developing original it's too late to talk about freedom..
>
> Gosh, we are not forcing you to use libav, we just considered it better
> at the time a decision had to be made. If you care that much about
> ffmpeg, then get your lazy ass up and help getting it packaged instead
> of spamming on debian-devel.

Hi Fabian,

I fully agree with you that it is not helpful to discuss whether
a decision that was considered better at the time it was made is
also the best in hindsight.

Are you as Debian Multimedia Maintainer willing to discuss which option
(libav, FFmpeg, some solution of shipping both) will be best for jessie
based on the information that is available today?

> As long as you don't actively contribute to Debian yourself and try to
> introduce changes to your liking, you will have to deal with other
> people's preferences. It's like that and that's the way it is...
>
> - Fabian

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.