Re: Proposal: let’s have a GR about the init system

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> On 10/25/2013 11:02 PM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>>> Supporting two different init systems is something I don't think
>>> *anyone* wants to get into. Remember they use different files, so this
>>
>> Erm, we already support sysv-rc, file-rc, systemd, upstart…
>> so my favourite GR outcome would just say that Debian fully
>> commits to continue doing that.
>
> Plus if we choose Upstart or Systemd, then that's effectively what we
> are going to do (I mean, we'd have to support 2 init systems, because of
> Hurd & kFreeBSD).

popcon.debian.org has some data about the usage of said architectures/kernels:

amd64: 92600
i386: 63099
hurd-i386: 25
kfreebsd-amd64: 68
kfreebsd-i386: 53

Holding up development of our Linux architecture for the 0.1% isn't
serving the majority of Debian's users well. I know popcon isn't
perfect, but its margin of error is acceptable for talking about the
gross disparity in number of users between Linux and Hurd/kFreeBSD.

-mz