Re: tech-ctte: Decide which init system to default to in Debian.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 04:40:15PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Paul Tagliamonte dixit:
>
> >please vote on and decide on the default init system for Debian.
>
> It’s not (just) about the _default_ but also on whether we will
> force this default init system onto *all* our users, or whether
> we commit to support more than one, and if so, how.

We've only ever supported one as a project; if you'd like to start
supporting more, please start a thread on that, and perhaps a release
goal.

> This is an *important* distinction / first step, and it absolutely
> *must* be decided *before* the default is decided, because otherwise
> the default system becomes just so much more important.

The default is the only thing we should support. Trying to support every
init system is insane, and again, this has implications on how daemons
are started, and small bugs for some radom daemon may start causing
subtle heisenbugs in unrelated apps.

> Why is it so hard to understand that this is (for me) about
> freedom of choice?

It may be, but it's not for the project. Let's let this bug be, and
have the tech cttie decide on *the* init system for Debian. If you want
to support more, again, please suggest it in another thread and/or bug.

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>