Re: Proposal: let’s have a GR about the init system

On 10/25/2013 11:02 PM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>> Supporting two different init systems is something I don't think
>> *anyone* wants to get into. Remember they use different files, so this
>
> Erm, we already support sysv-rc, file-rc, systemd, upstart…
> so my favourite GR outcome would just say that Debian fully
> commits to continue doing that.

Plus if we choose Upstart or Systemd, then that's effectively what we
are going to do (I mean, we'd have to support 2 init systems, because of
Hurd & kFreeBSD).

On 10/25/2013 10:27 PM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> or something like that, but not a decision whether we want to support
> one or multiple init systems, and if not all currently existing ones
> (plus maybe OpenRC which had a GSoC after all)

OpenRC has been waiting in the NEW queue (targeting experimental, as
this is what it is right now: experimental!) for more than a month. It'd
be nice if someone from the FTP master team could review it, so that at
least others can try it. As much as I can tell, it works, though I'm
sure there's a lot of problems that I didn't see, and having it exposed
would help (so that others can fill bug reports).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)