Re: let's split the systemd binary package

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:36:30 -0400
Marvin Renich <mrvn@renich.org> wrote:

> However, it is obviously true that systemd as the default init
> system is controversial, and that GNOME depends on it.  While GNOME
> may work with systemd installed but not PID 1 at the moment, in
> another message Uoti Urpala says that systemd as PID 1 will be
> required in an upcoming release.  If this is true, regardless of
> motives, then if GNOME is the default DE, systemd will be the de
> facto default init system.  The default init system should be decided
> _before_ the DE, not _by_ the DE.

Exactly.

It is not up to GNOME to assume that systemd is the only init system it
can choose to support. That decision is entirely separate and outside
the scope of the GNOME developers. The desktop environment has no
business assuming it knows best and the developers of that environment
have no business dictating the use of one init system above another.

It's not about whether the GNOME developers or maintainers should have
chosen one init system or another based on activity of that system,
it's about whether GNOME developers even have the option of making that
choice. I submit that they do not. Their decision to do so is
presumptive and disruptive. Debian does not have to respect that
decision and should not follow blindly.

Let's decide on the init question without letting the GNOME debacle
obscure the choices and then everyone, including GNOME, will have to
live with the result.

--

Neil Williams