Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source (Was: Minified javascript files)

Andreas Tille writes ("Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source (Was:	Minified javascript files)"):
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 04:32:05PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Some of the information is machine-readable, and some is not.  This is
> > obviously necessary in the general case for a description of
> > software's licensing status, since licences are written in human
> > natural languages and might be arbitrary in form.
>
> Same for debian/control with the Description field.

Yes.

>  We are using it to control several processes anyway.  I do not see
> any reason to invent an (at least so-called) machine readable file
> format ([1] does not say anything from semi-machine-readable) and
> then refraining from using this feature.

AFAICT the machine-readability is being used by a QA post-hoc process
to spot problems, not to control infrastructure.

But on the other hand I think Russ's argument about having all the
information in the same place is very cogent.

So on reflection I withdraw my objection.

Thanks,
Ian.