Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source (Was: Minified javascript files)

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:55:02AM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:39:05AM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > > Part of the problem is that we lack good tools to do this extra work
> > > for us.
> >
> > As an unrelated idea which popped up when reading this:  Do you think it
> > would be a sensible enhancement to uupdate if it could deal with a list
> > of files (wildcard strings that could be feed to `rm -rf`) which should
> > be removed from the upstream tarball?  This could simplify repackaging
> > to a certain amount.
> I use a script for this:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debichem/unstable/openbabel/debian/watch?view=markup
> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debichem/unstable/openbabel/debian/get-orig-source.sh?view=markup
> There are several other examples in this tree. It is pretty simple. Just
> replace line 20 in get-orig-source.sh with whatever you want to do here.
> FYI: I don't make use of uupdate. I don't need it in my setup.

I'm using a more sophisticated script, that allows to filter at the same
time as the file is downloaded, without actually extracting to disk.

This can seem a worthless optimization, but when your source tarball is
more than 80MB bzipped, it makes a huge difference (especially when
downloading is rather slow, in which case the whole process is about as
fast as downloading alone)

It supports wildcards, and extra filters (sed-like). See, for example,
the filter used on iceweasel source: