Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source (Was: Minified javascript files)

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 04:32:05PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Andreas Tille writes ("Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source (Was:	Minified javascript files)"):
> > On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 01:37:18PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > Andreas Tille writes ("Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source (Was:	Minified javascript files)"):
> > >
> > > I don't think debian/copyright should be an controlling input to the
> > > build process.  It's supposed to be semi-machine-readable
> > > documentation.
> >
> > Sorry, could you please define the term "semi-machine-readable"?
>
> Some of the information is machine-readable, and some is not.  This is
> obviously necessary in the general case for a description of
> software's licensing status, since licences are written in human
> natural languages and might be arbitrary in form.

Same for debian/control with the Description field.  We are using it to
control several processes anyway.  I do not see any reason to invent an
(at least so-called) machine readable file format ([1] does not say
anything from semi-machine-readable) and then refraining from using this
feature.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/