Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source (Was: Minified javascript files)

Hi Gregor,

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 01:47:48PM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:08:39 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> > So we finally have three independently developed solutions (we also have
> > several instances of a debian/get-orig-source script in Debian Med
> > team) and
>
> pkg-perl variant:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/scripts.git;a=tree
> repack.sh and repack.stub there

Solution 4. ;-)

> > my suggestion was just to settle with a common and simple
> > solution.  This should be pretty simple to implement (I'd volunteer to
> > do this but wanted to seek for comments before filing a bug report +
> > patch).
>
> Yup, that would be nice.
> But I don't think it belongs into uupdate but in uscan.

Right that's correct (and explains Daniel's hint there is no need for
uupdate).

 1. I propose a file debian/uscan.remove which contains regular expressions.
    The deletion process will loop over every line and does

     rm -rf ${MAIN_SOURCE_DIR}/<expression>

 2. uscan just knows the option --repack.  Do we want to reuse this and start
    deleting files in case the file debian/uscan.remove exists or do we
    want to use an explicite option --repack-and-remove?  I have some
    preference for just using --repack.

 3. If the tarball did not contained any of the strings in
    debian/uscan.remove it should be left untouched (except if the repackaging
    is needed because of compression method anyway)

 4. In case something was removed the version string will be appended by
    '~dfsg' to express the fact that the content of the original source
    was changed.

What do you think?

Kind regards

      Andreas.