Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source (Was: Minified javascript files)

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:26:49PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:

> > > I use a script for this:
> > >
> > > http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debichem/unstable/openbabel/debian/watch?view=markup
> > > http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debichem/unstable/openbabel/debian/get-orig-source.sh?view=markup
> > >
> > > There are several other examples in this tree. It is pretty simple. Just
> > > replace line 20 in get-orig-source.sh with whatever you want to do here.
> > > FYI: I don't make use of uupdate. I don't need it in my setup.

Sure, you need to replace uupdate by your own script and my suggestion
was to let uupdate do this for you by a unified interface instead of
having everybody writing its own debian/get-orig-source script.

> > I'm using a more sophisticated script, that allows to filter at the same
> > time as the file is downloaded, without actually extracting to disk.
> > http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-mozilla/iceweasel.git;a=blob;f=debian/repack.py;h=a797d5471f20e0f8de155d483e5ad2f1b2c3bdc5;hb=c1ebf8be93add288837377e4fdd87f9c9f1082cc
> >
> > This can seem a worthless optimization, but when your source tarball is
> > more than 80MB bzipped, it makes a huge difference (especially when
> > downloading is rather slow, in which case the whole process is about as
> > fast as downloading alone)
> >
> > It supports wildcards, and extra filters (sed-like). See, for example,
> > the filter used on iceweasel source:
> > http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-mozilla/iceweasel.git;a=blob;f=debian/source.filter;h=ec7efac7b97add1f39480c07fecb4b70ae7a7ec8;hb=c1ebf8be93add288837377e4fdd87f9c9f1082cc
>
> Oh, and the script just works out of the box with uscan:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-mozilla/iceweasel.git;a=blob;f=debian/watch;h=a81586cc891ab608c52717069c99703227e4d077;hb=c1ebf8be93add288837377e4fdd87f9c9f1082cc

So we finally have three independently developed solutions (we also have
several instances of a debian/get-orig-source script in Debian Med
team) and my suggestion was just to settle with a common and simple
solution.  This should be pretty simple to implement (I'd volunteer to
do this but wanted to seek for comments before filing a bug report +
patch).

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--