Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Apr 29, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:

> Red Hat employs some eminently friendly and reasonable people.
I am on friendly terms with many Red Hat people, but it is a fact that
they take design decisions which are aligned with the needs of RHEL
and these needs are often far from what is good for other distributions.
This has been happening more and more after SuSE has become irrelevant.

I will cite just a few simple examples:
- no good strategy to prevent lockstep udev/kernel upgrades, since RHEL
  does not support upgrading to the next major release
- configuration files in /etc/ overriding configuration files in /lib/,
  to work around the inferior configuration files handling of RPM
- removal from udev/systemd of features which Red Hat will not provide
  anymore (e.g. support of persistent names for new network interfaces,
  choose your own example for systemd)

> Claiming that we are at their mercy is ignoring the ability to reason
> with them.
The problem is not "reasoning", in my experience Red Hat people will
promply agree that different distributions can make different choices.
But nowadays they just refuse to support these choices.
Obviously this is their prerogative, but it is also a fact which we need
to be aware of.

--
ciao,
Marco