Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 02:03:17PM -0400, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> I believe Debian still supports running locally compiled kernels which
> do not depend on udev, and that some setups do not require udev either
> (not everyone use fibre channel).

Speaking of which: there was a somewhat related comment from GregkH
yesterday:

   https://plus.google.com/u/0/111049168280159033135/posts/V2t57Efkf1s

Money quote:

   'I seriously wonder how much longer a "general" distribution such as
    Gentoo or Debian can keep up the charade of trying to provide all
    options for all users.'

   'I strongly recommend tightly-coupled distros for desktops for
    anyone (like Fedora or openSUSE or Ubuntu), and Debian or Gentoo only
    for servers or embedded systems"'

And then, there is this statement about the core distro:

   "There are a number of folk in the Linux ecosystem pushing for a
    small core of tightly coupled components to make the core of a modern
    linux distro. The idea is that this “core distro” can evolve in sync
    with the kernel, and generally move fast. This is both good for the
    overall platform and very hard to implement for the “universal”
    distros."

I thought I'd pass it along, since it mentions "Debian" multiple times.

Cheers

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver