Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 09:27:43AM +0300, Eray Aslan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 03:23:18AM +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> > I think Arto Jantunen explained it pretty well earlier in this
> > thread:
> > > Reliability in the case of modern kernels and modern hardware
> > > means event based, not static. The hardware in a modern computer
> > > comes and goes as it pleases (usb devices being the worst example,
> > > but scanning
>
> That's the thing.  Hardware do not come and go as it pleases on my
> servers and I do not want anything happening when someone inserts a
> usb device.  It's nice on my laptop but not on my servers.

It comes and goes on my servers. I bring online new storage devices,
and change their sizes when I decide I want more space. Sometimes I
bring online a lot of temporary space and then take it away when I'm
done. These are production servers with Fibre Channel attached storage
and this is not a unique use case. Having to manually fiddle with
rescan-scsi-bus etc to see the new devices is a PITA and I welcome any
attempt to make this a more seamless process.

Don't assume dynamic device detection is only about personal machines or
USB. It's useful in a much wider context.

J.

--
We are talking one charming motherf**king pig.