Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Apr 29, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:

> I hope I'm not alone in feeling quite uneasy about the implications
> of the above.
We can all be "uneasy" about it until we are blue in the face, but since
Red Hat maintains most Linux core components and we do not, there is not
much we can do about it.

> While sysvinit is clearly inferior, it gives us (Debian) something the
> others do not: control over our own destiny, and the ability to
> modify every aspect of it and the init scripts to fit our needs.  Both
> systemd and upstart are largely influenced by third parties.  As a
I do not consider settling for obsolete software to be a useful
direction for Debian, nor is NIH a great argument in software design.

--
ciao,
Marco