Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

* Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> [120223 17:34]:
> Many people seem to argue that 'we know the old stuff and it works
> everywhere'.  The second point, 'it works everywhere' isn't really true
> as there is a constant stream of bugs in init scripts and inherent
> problems with the lack of real service control in sysvinit.

My point is that every init system will have a constant stream of
problems. There simply is no way anyone will ever write a system that
always work. Currently we have a system where every user has a chance to
debug and fix those problems and make their system work again. systemd
is something where mostly only a systemd developer will be able to fix
stuff (It's easy to add some echo to a init.d script, debugging C code
is not that easy). Thus anyone with problems mostly has a choice of
reinstalling, giving up or switching to something else.

> That leaves'we know the old stuff' (and 'it mostly works on kFreeBSD').
> And Marco is attacking that first point.

By suggesting anyone that knows the old system should leave Debian?

I've no problem with Debian supporting multiple init systems. But if
someone claims maintaince costs are too high for that, that is in my
eyes a reason against supporting systemd, not for only having it.

        Bernhard R. Link