Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> writes:

> But I don't see the problem, Debian has the choice. We're not going to
> drop system V init anytime soon. Providing both systemd, upstart as well
> as classical system V init leaves the up to the user and allows to
> support non-Linux kernels.

There's a serious drawback to supporting multiple init systems if one of
the goals is to stop writing init scripts.  The only common denominator is
init scripts; upstart and systemd configuration files look entirely
different, and would have to be maintained separately if we support both
without using the init script compatibility support.

Thankfully, they're much simpler than init scripts, so supporting both
upstart and systemd isn't too bad, but both of them plus init scripts
reduces a lot (but not all) of the advantages of the new init systems.