Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 02:58:50PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
> > But I don't see the problem, Debian has the choice. We're not going to
> > drop system V init anytime soon. Providing both systemd, upstart as well
> > as classical system V init leaves the up to the user and allows to
> > support non-Linux kernels.
>
> There's a serious drawback to supporting multiple init systems if one of
> the goals is to stop writing init scripts.  The only common denominator is
> init scripts; upstart and systemd configuration files look entirely
> different, and would have to be maintained separately if we support both
> without using the init script compatibility support.

Yes, there is absolutely a big cost to pay in supporting multiple
init systems.  Choice is good when there's a benefit, but we should
not ignore the cost we pay.

It would be good if we could generate init scripts from upstart
and/or systemd service files, to permit migration to newer systems
while still permitting the old system to be supported for the
interim.  It would IMO be more productive to port systemd and/or
upstart to kFreeBSD/Hurd to make it possible to use the modern
systems on all arches.  The attitude of the systemd upstream is
not encouraging here, however.

Regards,
Roger

--