Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 16:57 +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> [120223 15:24]:
> > Not an option: we really need an events-based init system.
> > If you want legacy at all costs, I think that Slackware is looking for
> > developers.
>
> What's the supposed answer to this kind of ad hominem attack?
[...]

That is not an ad hominem attack.  Ad hominem would be dismissing the
opponent with 'but you are just an old fart'.

Many people seem to argue that 'we know the old stuff and it works
everywhere'.  The second point, 'it works everywhere' isn't really true
as there is a constant stream of bugs in init scripts and inherent
problems with the lack of real service control in sysvinit.  That leaves
'we know the old stuff' (and 'it mostly works on kFreeBSD').  And Marco
is attacking that first point.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing about average.