Re: Prefix level in Quilt patches

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 06 Mar 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> > > More specifically, I'm not the one using Quilt *at all*. The patches
> > > are created from my VCS, stored in the ‘debian/patches/’ directory
> > > separate from the upstream source, so there isn't anything for them to
> > > be applied to until the package gets built with ‘dpkg-source’.
> >
> > Most VCS have options to control the output of "<vcs> diff". git
> > produces -p1 patches by default and you can use --no-prefix (-p0
> > like) or --src-prefix / --dst-prefix for other cases.
> >
> > With bzr you can use “bzr diff --prefix a/:b/” to produce -p1
> > patches instead of -p0 patches.
>
> Yes, that could be done. It needs to be done by every user, for every
> patch that they ever create for consumption with ‘dpkg-source’. Which
> is why I was hoping for a way to fix it in one place, for
> ‘dpkg-source’ specifically.

quilt assumes -p1 by default too, using -p0 requires you to explicitely
add -p0 in the series file. So in the end, you have to teach some tool at
some place of the desired/actual format.

Also in the end, I expect tools like *-buildpackage to hide you those
details, you just maintain your topic branches and you're done. They take
care of generating the patches for you. :)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/