Re: Prefix level in Quilt patches

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Note however that while dpkg-source parses correctly series files
> > with explicit options used for patch application (stored on each
> > line after the patch filename and one or more spaces), it does
> > ignore those options and always expect patches that can be applied
> > with the -p1 option of patch. It will thus emit a warning when it
> > encounters such options, and the build is likely to fail.
>
> The question remains: If this is the behaviour of ‘dpkg-source’, I
> consider it a bug. What is the reason for this explicit behaviour?

Supporting multiple -pX would increase the complexity of the
associated code in a manner that is mostly incompatible with the
various checks that have always been built into dpkg-source (and
that were only applied on .diff). It's enough error-prone to mimick
the patch heuristics to identify the file to patch that I did not
want to have to support multiple -pX.

Furthermore, I believe that consistency is important and that we're
better with all patches formatted in the same way. Quilt make it
easy to refresh any patch to the expected format with "quilt refresh -p1"
(or -pab).

Last point, IIRC, quilt/patch are able to handle patches really formatted
with -p1 but announced with -p0 (in the series file). I didn't want to have
to deal with such cornercases. Yet dpkg-source has to be able to tell
which files have been patched and it must be able to check if they exist,
and so on.

Feel free to try to write a patch to see the problems by yourself.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/