Re: Prefix level in Quilt patches

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Quilt make it easy to refresh any patch to the expected format
> > with "quilt refresh -p1" (or -pab).
>
> I'm a complete neophyte at Quilt, and am using it only to apply
> patches that I've already created elsewhere. Can I expect ‘quilt
> refresh -p1’ to work if the patches were not created with Quilt?

More specifically, I'm not the one using Quilt *at all*. The patches
are created from my VCS, stored in the ‘debian/patches/’ directory
separate from the upstream source, so there isn't anything for them to
be applied to until the package gets built with ‘dpkg-source’.

A brief expreiment with ‘quilt refresh’ shows that it needs me to have
the working tree available, just in order to (from my point of view)
fiddle with the ‘-pN’ level. So AFAICT it doesn't work for my use
case.

--
 \       “Theology is the effort to explain the unknowable in terms of |
  `\                         the not worth knowing.” —Henry L. Mencken |