Re: Prefix level in Quilt patches

> On Fri, 06 Mar 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> > More specifically, I'm not the one using Quilt *at all*. The patches
> > are created from my VCS, stored in the ‘debian/patches/’ directory
> > separate from the upstream source, so there isn't anything for them to
> > be applied to until the package gets built with ‘dpkg-source’.
>
> Most VCS have options to control the output of "<vcs> diff". git
> produces -p1 patches by default and you can use --no-prefix (-p0
> like) or --src-prefix / --dst-prefix for other cases.
>
> With bzr you can use “bzr diff --prefix a/:b/” to produce -p1
> patches instead of -p0 patches.

Yes, that could be done. It needs to be done by every user, for every
patch that they ever create for consumption with ‘dpkg-source’. Which
is why I was hoping for a way to fix it in one place, for
‘dpkg-source’ specifically.

I wonder whether the fall-out from all those people producing valid
Quilt patches that don't work with ‘dpkg-source’, and having to
educate each new person indefinitely, is going to be better or worse
than, one time, fixing ‘dpkg-source’ to accept ‘-p0’ patches :-)

--
 \         “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, |
  `\      Brain, but isn't that why they invented tube socks?” —_Pinky |