Re: Prefix level in Quilt patches

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>>
>> > How can I reliably inform the Debian packaging tools that my quilt
>> > patches are in ‘patch -p0’ format?
>>
>> You don't want to use -p0 otherwise you'll get bugs from buxy about
>> not supporting dpkg source package v3.
>
> Hmm. Why does buzy have this behaviour? My first impression is that,
> if buxy can't handle a ‘-p0’ patch, that's a bug.

buxy (Raphael Hertzog) has pushed dpkg-source 3.0 (quilt) source
packages into lenny dpkg and understandably wants us to switch to it
for squeeze:

The reason you cannot use -p0 with dpkg-source 3.0 (quilt) source
packages is because dpkg-source ignores options in the series file and
expects patches were generated with -p1 or -pab, a quote from the
dpkg-source manual page:

Note however that while dpkg-source parses correctly series files with
explicit options used for patch application (stored on each line after
the patch filename and one  or  more  spaces),  it does ignore those
options and always expect patches that can be applied with the -p1
option of patch. It will thus emit a warning when it encounters such
options, and the build is likely to fail.

buxy has been filing bugs on packages that fail to build as a result
of using patches generated using -p0.

--
bye,
pabs