Re: bug #561324: asking questions in postinst

Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@debian.org> writes:

> Debconf or another tool that implements the Debian Configuration
> Management Specification will also be installed, and any versioned
> dependencies on it will be satisfied before preconfiguration begins.

Oh, sorry, I didn't think to check the footnote.

However, I think you're reading the wrong meaning into the footnote.  "It"
here refers to "Debconf or another tool that implements...."  In other
words, what the message is saying is that if your package has a versioned
dependency on debconf, you're guaranteed to get that version of debconf,
not some other, before the config script of the package is run.

This doesn't help with any of your other dependencies, just the dependency
on debconf (or some other DCMS implementation).