Re: bug #561324: asking questions in postinst

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 07:44:56PM +0100, Reinier Haasjes wrote:

>> Why? Is it really required to have _all_ questions in the postinst?

> No, not all. There are 4 questions asked.
> 1) brokers list, the list is received by the package-binary and the user
> selects te broker he wants to use. For this I can use a dns-query (type
> TXT) but dig and host are both not essential packages, so this still has
> to go to the postinst.

Well, this could be solved by a pre-depends on dnsutils |
bind9-host. Pre-depends are often frowned upon, what do others think
of this for this case?

Another good solution would be to get the brokers list in the
config/preinst (and ask which one to use) if bind or host are already
there (the common case) and to get the list in the postinst if the
information has not already been gotten.

--
Lionel