Re: bug #561324: asking questions in postinst

Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@debian.org> writes:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 10:37:45AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@debian.org> writes:

>>> Uhm, yes, you are right. So it wouldn't help anyway. Only possibility
>>> would be a versioned dependency (according to [1]) or to really do it in
>>> the postinst. Leads to the question which of the solution we'd prefer.

>>> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#fr10

>> I'm not sure what sort of versioned dependency you're referring to, but
>> config scripts can only use binaries from essential packages or debconf
>> itself.  See debconf-devel:

> I'm not sure if you actually read the remark in the policy I linked to.
> According to the policy _all_ versioned dependencies and debconf are
> installed before the config script is run.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  If you mean the URL quoted above,
the relevant portion of that section is:

    The config script might be run before the preinst script, and before
    the package is unpacked or any of its dependencies or pre-dependencies
    are satisfied. Therefore it must work using only the tools present in
    essential packages.

which says the same thing that debconf-devel does (well, it implies that
you can't even use debconf, but that's not the case).

If you're referring to something else, could you quote the relevant text?
I can't find it in that section.