Re: bug #561324: asking questions in postinst

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:01:58PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@debian.org> writes:

> >> I'm not sure what sort of versioned dependency you're referring to, but
> >> config scripts can only use binaries from essential packages or debconf
> >> itself.  See debconf-devel:
>
> > I'm not sure if you actually read the remark in the policy I linked to.
> > According to the policy _all_ versioned dependencies and debconf are
> > installed before the config script is run.
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about.  If you mean the URL quoted above,
> the relevant portion of that section is:

Sorry, the link was obviously to the section not the footnote. My fault.
The footnote in that section (next to the quoted passage) reads

Debconf or another tool that implements the Debian Configuration
Management Specification will also be installed, and any versioned
dependencies on it will be satisfied before preconfiguration begins.

Regards,
Patrick