Re: How to handle Debian patches

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 09:58:55AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:42:54 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow
> > <goswin-v-b@web.de> said:
> > > It is trivial to generate a quilt format package from
> > > git/arch/hg/svn and I'm sure there will be a RCS-build-package
> > > soon enough that does that.
> >
> >         This can not happen without manual intervention, if the
> >  topic branches have overlap. And Redoing the manual conflict
> >  resolution over and over and over again is a burden (the manual
> >  conflict resolution lives generally in the integration branch
> >  history, and can be done once, and mostly ignored from that point
> >  on).
> (...)
>
> git has git rerere to deal with this.

Bazaar is soon to gain the "loom" feature, currently in development
<URL:http://bazaar-vcs.org/Documentation/LoomAsSmarterQuilt> which
also will deal with this issue.

--
 \     "Yesterday I parked my car in a tow-away zone. When I came back |
  `\                   the entire area was missing."  -- Steven Wright |