Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 04:06:36PM +0000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> B) (This is an honest question). How many things can rerere remember? If
>    I use rerere to record how to resolve current conflicts in feature
>    branches, does the historical information get lost? (like, I use
>    rerere to help merging the current upstream version, do we lose
>    information about previous upstream versions?)

  git-rerere keeps recorded conflicts resolution for 60 days by default,
and it's configureable, and it needs to use git-gc (or git rerere gc) to
cleanse it, so if you don't, it just won't disappear.

  git-rerere works by remembering versions of files before a conflict
and after its resolution, so that if this particular conflict is met
again, it just propose the last merge as a merge solution when a
conflict occurs. But it does not hides from you that you had a conflict,
it's just that instead of presenting to you a file with conflicts marks
in it, it replaced the hunks where there is a conflict with the previous
merge solution instead, so that in many cases you just have to {git
commit,git rebase --continue, ...} (depending on which action led you to
this conflict of course) without having to solve the conflict by hand.

  I'm not sure I answer your question wrt "history" but I'm not sure
it's a relevant question either.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit