Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Mon, 19 May 2008 17:29:13 +0200, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> said:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 09:58:55AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:42:54 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow
>> <goswin-v-b@web.de> said:
>>
>> Hmm. You say things like this:
>> > Because the git format is imho conceptualy broken and the
>> > implementation is far from completely thought out.
>>
>> And then you go saying things like that:
>> > It is trivial to generate a quilt format package from
>> > git/arch/hg/svn and I'm sure there will be a RCS-build-package soon
>> > enough that does that.
>>
>> This can not happen without manual intervention, if the topic
>> branches have overlap. And Redoing the manual conflict resolution
>> over and over and over again is a burden (the manual conflict
>> resolution lives generally in the integration branch history, and can
>> be done once, and mostly ignored from that point on).
> (...)

> git has git rerere to deal with this.

        Two comments:

A) This is great for git users. Is there a hg-rerere? svn-rerere?
   tla-rerere? bzr-rerere?  I am just as opposed to everyone must use
   git as I am to everyone must use quilt.

B) (This is an honest question). How many things can rerere remember? If
   I use rerere to record how to resolve current conflicts in feature
   branches, does the historical information get lost? (like, I use
   rerere to help merging the current upstream version, do we lose
   information about previous upstream versions?)

        manoj

--
Many people feel that they deserve some kind of recognition for all the
bad things they haven't done.