Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Mgr. Peter Tuharsky wrote:
> This is closest to "backports" and "volatile" idea. I wouldn't call
> it "backports" however, because that reminds porting some very new
> software to some very old platform, and this is not the case. The
> stable's basic platform should stay LSB-compliant and
> "moderately-aged" (supported by all main software vendors) for the
> whole length of release cycle. Thus the new versions of desktop
> software wouldn't be "backported"; just compiled against ordinary,
> stable platform.

That's precisely what a backport is. New versions of a Debian package
compiled against stable with whatever changes are required to get them
to compile. If the root of the concern is because the term "backport"
is scary or otherwise unpalatable, then suggest an alternative term.

Don Armstrong

--
The attackers hadn't simply robbed the bank. They had carried off
everything portable, including the security cameras, the carpets, the