Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

Steve,

I see main problem with testing that broad platform changes are going there. That's why things break sometimes there.

That's why I think, that the Stable platform with new desktop software might be the choice -the new software versions with no platform dependecies breakage risk.

This is closest to "backports" and "volatile" idea. I wouldn't call it "backports" however, because that reminds porting some very new software to some very old platform, and this is not the case. The stable's basic platform should stay LSB-compliant and "moderately-aged" (supported by all main software vendors) for the whole length of release cycle. Thus the new versions of desktop software wouldn't be "backported"; just compiled against ordinary, stable platform.

I don't know how real the vision is, however it shouldn't be completely impossible I hope ;-)

Peter