Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Mgr. Peter Tuharsky wrote:

We're going OT, however my experience based on last two Debian releases: testing becomes quite "stable in means of usability" somewhere half year before it's released as "stable". The sooner before the stable, the rapidly increasing is the chance that the snapshot that You have will not be installable at all, will have dependencies severely broken, etc.

In several mails you claimed testing as broken.  This is completely
orthognal to my experience.  I'm using testing since its existence
on most of my boxes.  Only production servers are running stable and
I keep my fingers from running unstable (except of chroots).  So
were is the proof for you statement.  What are the numbers of the
bugs you might have reported against packages in testing? Could you
please a bit more verbose about your problems in testing because
nobody else made it to my radar that testing is that unusable.
Perhaps I missed something ...

Kind regards

           Andreas (writing from a laptop that runs testing. ;-))

--
http://fam-tille.de