Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

We're going OT, however my experience based on last two Debian releases: testing becomes quite "stable in means of usability" somewhere half year before it's released as "stable". The sooner before the stable, the rapidly increasing is the chance that the snapshot that You have will not be installable at all, will have dependencies severely broken, etc.

That's why I suggest: focus on base platform, stabilise it, polish the dependencies. Then compile software against it and release it, compile newer version and release it, etc.. Desktop software itself shouldn't break dependencies.

Peter