Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Mgr. Peter Tuharsky wrote:

Don't remember, not too much. However, if hundred of packages had broken deps,

This statement is definitely wrong.

where would You report the bug? I'm not too experienced with apt and I hate hacking around it.

There is no need to hack around it.

Another hand, many problems were well-known by the time I met them, there wasn't need to report them again.

So if there are really well-known "many problems" can you do me a favour
and list one or two here?

I'd say, half of problems with testing were connected to bugs in installer. I

I don't know what you mean here.  If you want to get a running testing
system why not installing stable and then switch to testing?  You are
right, the installer for testing might become usable for the masses
from the RC candidates and thus about half a year before a release.
This would perhaps clarify your statements, but this is not a problem
of the testing system but a problem of the installer.  Perhaps we
should document a reasonable way how to get a reasonable testing system
setup flawlessly.

I heared many people on mailing lists saying they would never suggest running testing for other than testing purposes, and they often added typical problems one coan get in with testing..

Links?
Well, testing has its name for purpose and I personally think about to
whom I suggest using testing.  But the name is choosen quite conservative for
a quite stable thing (which is just not "rock solid" as stable).

However, problems with testing are matter of other topic, an't they? ;-)

Yes, I do not want to disturb from your main point of your initial
mail.  But please do not blur it yourself with statements that are
just not true if you want that people take you honest (and I really
wish they would do).

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--