Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Is there any reason why this isn't handled by a
> > /usr/share/bug/gnome/script (or whatever is appropriate) which
> > tells the user to install the -dbg package if they aren't
> > currently installed so backtraces can be generated?
>
>  While this is an interesting suggestion (which I'm taking note
>  of!), it might not be enough when users are using specific
>  reporting tools: bug-buddy comes to mind for example.

This should probably be fixed then if bug-buddy is recommended by
gnome (or used for reporting bugs against things that aren't in the
gnome bugzilla.)

> > Once you've got the corefile, you can always mate the -dbg to it
> > after the fact.
>
>  Hmm I don't expect the majority of users to know how to do this nor
>  how to enable core dumps in the default config.

If they don't enable core dumps in the default config, the backtraces
aren't going to be terribly useful (or may not even exist), right?
Then the -dbg packages aren't going to help much either.

Don Armstrong

--
My spelling ability, or rather the lack thereof, is one of the wonders
of the modern world.