Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 19:28:27 +0200
md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:

> On Aug 01, Michael Vogt <mvo@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > We, the APT Development Team, will change apt to install recommended
> > packages by default on October 1st. This should give enough time to

> Why? What is the point?

Precisely - just what is the benefit? I really don't think this is a
good idea. My immediate reaction is to disable recommends on all my
boxes. Have I got to write a script now to force this decision to be
undone whenever I install a new box? I'll certainly need something like
that for the cross-built apt for Emdebian
- embedded devices will not cope with this change.

Why can't this be a debconf selection (with a default of OFF)! I see no
reason to make it mandatory for new installations, let alone every
upgrade to existing boxes.

If I wanted Recommends:, I'd use aptitude - I see no sense in forcing
this.

I tried the sample commands and apt wanted to add HALF A GIGABYTE of
unnecessary stuff!!! Others may consider hard disc space cheap but, in
truth, hard disc space is not infinite.

Please, please, please, reconsider.

--

Neil Williams