Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 03:56:48PM -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> On 8/1/07, Reinhard Tartler <siretart@debian.org> wrote:
> > Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

> > (...)
> > > I tried the sample commands and apt wanted to add HALF A GIGABYTE of
> > > unnecessary stuff!!! Others may consider hard disc space cheap but, in
> > > truth, hard disc space is not infinite.

> > > Please, please, please, reconsider.

> > Please stop whining and start contributing. E.g. by filing bugs against
> > package (and possibly NMU them) that abuse the Recommends relationship.

> I would like to point out that pkg-gnome team already fixed the
> gnome-dbg related Recommends in svn; for those with
> gnome-desktop-environment installed if it was October 1st, it would
> install all the debug enabled packages. Lots of people using GNOME
> will see half a gigabyte results that will mean nothing once apt
> development team do the change they're planning.

Sorry, what do you mean to say here?  Are you claiming that having debug
packages in Recommends: is somehow a "fix"?  I'm quite sure that doesn't fit
the Policy definition of Recommends -- debugging applications is not at all
relevant to the common case, the common case should be that applications
don't need debugged. ;)