Re: cdrtools

Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 04:09:33PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > This is of course a lie.....or why don't you like to prove it:
>
> > http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/problems.html
>
> > Come back to reallity, the k3b maintainers did already give up with
> > Debian versions of cdrtools and use self-compiled unmodified originalsources.
>
> This is of course a lie.....or why don't you like to prove it?

You are of course lying...

> Neither upstream or debian packaging k3b includes "unmodified
> originalsources" of cdrtools, nor give instructions to users
> to use "unmodified sources".

Well, I have a private mail exhange that proves my claim.

> Come back to reality, stock Debian K3B burned just some minutes ago
> a fine bootable cd. *Thanks* to the patches in debian cdrtools that
> allows it to work with recent 2.6 kernels. But then again, we are
> probably in different realities anyway.

Come back to reality: Cdrecord from Debian does not work correctly _because_
of the broken patches.

Try to understand that the fact that it _may_ work under certain conditions
does not make it work for all cases and with all drives.

The Linux Kernel people decided to filter away important SCSI commands I need
with cdrtools.

The Debian patches do nothing but to _hide_ the warnings, cdrecord and other
programs from the cdrtools emit in order to inform the user that "something
went wrong".

My current version of cdrtools on the other side include a _solution_ for the
problem caused by the Linux Kernel folks (incompatibly changing interfaces).

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)